Saturday, March 1, 2008

We were able to bring Ethan home from the hospital thursday evening, and both Ethan and I were so happy to be home again. He was so exhausted from it all that he fell asleep shortly after coming home, around 5:30, and slept the entire night. He only woke up once to eat and didn't even eat a whole bottle before falling back asleep. He was so tired when I first put him to bed, I was able to move him from his crib to the pack and play in our room, and change his diaper twice, and he never woke up.

The doctors have not figured out exactly what caused the seizures. We are thinking that it was caused by him being sick. Apparently that is the most common, or one of the most common reasons children have seizures. It's frustrating because doctors, nurses, and everyone else has their own opinions, so you hear all these different explanations for what is causing it. Along with that, you get the opinions on the severity of it- some people are telling you that it's nothing to be concerned about, that you shouldn't even take him into the hospital cause it's harmless, or normal. Others are saying that we need to take Ethan down to Salt Lake to Primary's to see a neurologist. We decided that if Ethan were to have more seizures, once he is well again (he's still sick with diarhea and upset tummy), that we would take him to Salt Lake. We are hoping however, that it won't happen again. I will just have to be extra careful every time he gets sick to keep his temperature down, and watch him closely. I would like to just avoid him getting sick at all till he turns 6 (that is the estimated age, i guess, when the children stop having this kind of seizures) but I know that is probably unlikely. Next friday he will get an eeg test done, to check for things like epilepsy, but we are not too concerned that he has that.

I want to thank everyone for their comments of concern- that is what is most comforting/helpful, when people tell you that they are praying for you or that they hope things will get better. I really appreciate that. I know that this is probably "normal" and not as severe as I feel it is, but it is still hard to see your child in that condition. He is gettin gbetter though, he is starting to play with his toys again, even though he is still really tired, and he has started to giggle again, which I'm really happy for. I really missed his smile and giggling.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Hurray! I am so happy to hear that he was able to come home from the hospital and that he is doing better. That would be so hard to go through for both you and him. And then not knowing exactly what was happening and even what to think would make it hard. It sounds like you and Ryan have it under control and that you are handling it well. I'm still thinking about you guys and I hope Ethan continues to improve.

Blog Archive