Tuesday, May 27, 2014

more doctor visits

Ethan had an adverse reaction to his ADD medicine (he has been SUPER emotional lately), and it did not actually help him at all. I have been watching him closely, and researching, and I have realized that I was probably wrong in discounting the autism diagnosis. I had thought that in order to have Autism or Aspergers you had to have the majority of the symptoms, but I guess you can have several of the symptoms and still have it. His doctor thinks it is very likely he has high functioning autism, or Aspergers, rather than ADD, and I think he is right. He said that high functioning Autism actually often looks like ADD and is misdiagnosed as such. I had put off taking him to specialists, because I had wanted to try out the ADD route and see if that was what it was. I will go ahead and get him into a pediatric psychologist in Salt Lake, if I can. I am worried about what this all means, but I know that he is such a sweet, smart boy, and everything will work out.

And.... the poor kid has a dentist appointment tomorrow. His 6 year molars came in with zero enamel on them, probably caused by when he was really sick and had the febral seizures around 14 months old. So, they are rotting and will eventually need to be pulled. The dentist is going in tomorrow to see how bad they are, and if they need to be pulled now or if they can wait. Ethan is not happy about seeing the dentist, because he knows they are going to be giving him shots in the mouth. I'm trying to help him prepare and not be upset and scared, but it isn't working so far. fun stuff.

No comments: