Monday, September 8, 2008

Working Hard

A month ago I went into the doctor for a check up, and discovered something frustrating- I'd gained 11 lbs. I have low self confidence as it is, so gaining weight doesn't help. I decided that I needed to really work out, but what clinched it for me was when I went to buy a pair of jeans, and I was several jean sizes over what I wanted to be. I couldn't make myself buy the jeans that fit, and went instead with a size smaller that was very tight in the waist and determined to work out until I could fit into them. Ryan's sister Tonya is into health and exercise, and so I got some good ideas from her on the best way to work out and get in shape. so for the last three weeks I've been really good at working out each day- I do cardio for an hour, then resistence exercises (weights, etc.) for 10-15 min and then stretch. It's very hard to do it each day, and I'm thoroughly exhausted afterwords. I also cut out soda (I sneak a drink of Ryans every once in a while) and tried to resist ice cream. I also tried to make my portions at dinner smaller. After 3 weeks of doing this routine (I skipped the weekends on exercising because I was really tired) I weighed myself and was happy and surprised to find that I'd lost 9lbs. So, I lost most of the weight that I wanted to, but my waist still looks like play dough. I know it takes time to get in shape, I seriously didn't expect it to happen over night, but I still worry that the stomach is there to stay, courtesy of having a baby. I could post a picture of my squishy stomach, but I'll spare all of you. Working out has helped a lot with giving me something constructive to do with my time, and helping me feel better in general. I want to add that I know there are people bigger than me, and I know that i'm not obese or anything. I just want to be able to feel good when I look in the mirror. I don't need killer abs, or to be a size 0 (I also want to add that I was never a size 0, and I'm glad-well I might have been in 9th grade but I don't know, I was pretty scrawny), I just want to fit into most of my clothes again (i've given up on some of them). I am happy though, cause my pants do fit a little better (I think they strectched, they are stretchy material).

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Andrea, that's great!

About 5-6 years ago, I lost about 70-75 pounds by eating better and exercising. Then my job changed and my schedule with it, and I haven't been to the gym in forever.

I don't weigh myself, I just go by how clothes fit. I think I've probably put back on 10-12 pounds. Enough to make some of my clothes feel tighter, and a few jeans not fit at all, but not enough that my clothes look awful.

I'm thinking about getting a Wii Fit. Oh, and I probably shouldn't have had ice cream for breakfast. :)

Kristina P. said...

Oh, and eating anything fried, that I could get my hands on, at the fair, probably didn't help either. :)

andreamichelle said...

lol. I had brownies this morning for breakfast.... I couldn't resist chocolate when it's sitting there looking so good on the counter.... I think the wii fit looks awesome. I haven't gone to the gym because of wondering what to do with my son, so instead I just work out at home- I basically make up my own exercises, and I know I look pretty silly, but thats why I do it when noone is home to see! that is cool that you were able to lose so much, I bet that made you feel good.

jlbunting.com said...

You should ask Joan if she still has her old Jane Fonda tape. I remember when we were staying there when McKenzie was in the hospital and she did that tape every day. It looked like fun!

jlbunting.com said...

Good job on the 9 pounds, by the way. Are you guys moving?

andreamichelle said...

Yes, Becky, we will most likely be moving. Ryan's work is going out of business, and we have until November to find another job. So, at the moment we don't know where we will be going, whether it's staying in twin or moving elsewhere... we will see

Kristina P. said...

Andrea, I do love stalkers. Too bad you aren't down this way, so we can move from the stalkers into real life friends!

Whitney R said...

Hi Andrea,

I'm off Kristina's blog and saw that you wanted to come to the meet and greet but weren't sure about getting to Utah. Which perked my interest as I am not in Utah as well.

Then I saw you were in Idaho. So am I.

I'm in Rexburg.. well... kind of. But if you were anywhere close and wanted to go to the meet and greet we could carpool. And I don't charge as much for gas as the gas stations do. In fact, I don't charge much at all.

Jenni said...

Congratulations! That's awesome that you have been working so well and had results. You are an inspiration.

Blog Archive