Friday, March 14, 2014

hydronephrosis

Yesterday Ethan had an ultrasound to check his kidneys, and we discovered that not only does he have hydronephrosis in both kidneys,  it is really bad in his left kidney. apparently his left  kidney hurts a great deal, but of course Ethan never tells me when something hurts... I hope the doctor will call me and talk to me today, but I might have to wait until our appointment in two weeks.  Prolonged hydronephrosis causes permanent kidney damage,  so since this has apparently been on going since he was in my tummy I am worried he may have permanent kidney damage. I know that there isn't any point in worrying,  but I still do.it has most likely been caused by a malfunctioning valve, the one that lets pee out of the kidney--but this valve is letting reflux back in. Most likely it will require surgeries to correct. Typically this is something kids outgrow,  and it was improving so the doctors were not very concerned after our last ultrasound when Ethan was about one years old.  I'm greatful we have insurance now and can afford to take care of it, but I wish we would have figured it out sooner for his sake.

1 comment:

ShelbySpear said...

I'm sorry Ethan has to go through this, I've been praying for him.

Blog Archive