Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Lasagna~The best lasagna recipe you will EVER make. Seriously.


Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Lasagna

1 box lasagna noodles
1 to 2 lbs hamburger
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced
Half of a 15 oz container Ricotta cheese
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack or Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt split
1/2 tsp pepper split
1 tbsp basil split
1 tbsp oregano split
1 1/2 can/jar spaghetti sauce (26 oz size jar/can)

Directions
Pre-heat over to 375
Boil your noodles. Adding a little oil to the water helps keep them from gluing together. Drain water, and if needed (if you are not immediately using) spray with cooking oil spray to keep them from sticking.

Brown your hamburger. I add some of the seasonings to my hamburger as it cooks, such as: pepper, oregano, basil, and garlic (this is why I put "split" in the ingredients list. I put half in the white cheese sauce and half in the meat. for the garlic, I would put a tiny amount of garlic powder in the white sauce, and put the fresh garlic in the red sauce. If all I have is garlic powder, I do it for both the meat and the white cheese sauce. I don't know the exact measurement and I'm afraid of guessing). After draining excess oil, add spaghetti sauce and heat till simmering.

Mix together all of the cheeses, milk, and the spices. I stick mine in the microwave long enough to get it melted so it spreads on nicely, but that is not necessary.

Spoon some of the red sauce on the bottom of the 9 x 13 dish. Then spread a little of the white cheese sauce on the bottom as well. Put down your first layer of 4 noodles. Then put more red sauce and meat. Shred a thin layer of cheese (white or yellow, your pick) over the meat, then lay down another layer of noodles. Spread on some of the white cheese sauce, and then sprinkle on some of the spinach. repeat layers. on the top put the remaining red sauce. then put the remaining white sauce. Sprinkle a small amount of Monterrey or mozzarella on top. Sprinkle a light amount of Parmesan on top.  Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes covered, and then remove the tin foil and bake another 5 minutes. you want to see the sauce boiling when you take it out and all of the cheese on top melted and maybe even beginning to barely brown.

Ryan loves lasagna, so we have made it a great deal over the last 8 years. He is very picky about his lasagna. He doesn't want anything weird or funny in it. His ideal lasagna is noodles, a can/jar of spaghetti sauce, hamburger,  and cheddar cheese-- without anything else added in. Even spices. I do not like this recipe, and over the years I dislike it more and more. But he loves it and so I most often make it. But occasionally I'll try to tweak it.

I recently figured out this recipe, and the kids and Ryan love it. Ryan agreed it was the best I had ever made. I honestly do not measure things out when I cook, so I did my best to estimate the spices in order to share it on here with you. If you do not like a lot of spices, than add a little less of each than I did. You can always add more the next time you make it if it's too bland. I made it with tomatoes tonight, but I won't do that again because I didn't like how it turned out. I made it tonight to try and get some food into Violet because she isn't eating as well as I would like, and I know she loves lasagna... but she just picked at it tonight. I tried, right? :)

2 comments:

CK said...

pinning it! Thanks girl :)))

ShelbySpear said...

That looks yummy! I hate lasagna though. I'm sure it's the best lasagna out there though.