Tuesday, August 19, 2014

School

I am anxious about school starting tomorrow. In the past we have looked forward with excitement for school, but this year Ethan has been stressed out about it and not at all eager to go back--which of course causes me to be anxious. Saturday I took him to lunch and then school shopping by myself, and he suddenly opened up and started telling me all of his concerns, as well as his negative memories from last year that he never told me about before. Most of it is simply a result of his misunderstandings of social interactions as well as inability to fully communicate with his peers.

I am grateful that his second grade teacher appears to be absolutely perfect for him, and I am praying and hoping that things will go better than last year. I have an IEP meeting set up for the end of September (they refused to do it sooner) and I will be fully prepared with doctors notes, goals, and our expectations. I was given great advice from several people, the best of which came from a principal of a school for kids with disabilities, and then a parent of a teen with Aspergers. I feel confident things will work out for the best, despite the case worker who I spoke to on Monday who tried to fluff me aside and made it sound like she wanted to take Ethan off of his IEP--which will not happen.

Tonight I am preparing some freezer meals for Ethan to take to school for lunch. I discovered last year that Ethan will not eat the food if he doesn't like it, and most of the time he did not like the school food. He is generally not a picky eater (he eats spicy food that is even too hot for me), but he hated school food most of the time, and there was no forcing him to eat it. I can't blame him, it is pretty yucky in my opinion as well. Ethan informed me that the cafeteria does have a microwave that kids can get help heating their food in, so I decided to make up some enchilada's tonight, and freeze them in portions that I can thaw and put in his lunch box with an ice pack. I'll also freeze the go-gurts so they will stay cold until lunch, and then just include some fruit. Ethan is a VERY hungry kid, he out eats Ryan and me combined, and he does not function well if he is hungry--so I figure this way I can help him perform better at school and help his teacher out by not having him be cranky and un-cooperative from hunger.

I was also thinking tonight, as I was washing dishes and stressing about school and Ethan's development, that I might have Ryan ask the young men at church if any of them would be willing to hang out with Ethan once a week for an hour or so playing soccer or baseball, in order to help him with physical development as well as social skills. The lady I spoke with who had a teen with Aspergers had suggested something like that, and I think it would be a very good thing for Ethan.
I am sure it will all work out, but the night before school starts is always filled with apprehension. Ethan is at least excited about the Captain America thermos I bought him at Old Navy, he keeps telling everyone about it and has repeatedly given me hugs and told me how much he loved me for buying it for him, hahahaha.

1 comment:

ShelbySpear said...

I hope his first day went well!