Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What can I say, I love food :)

I finally created a good recipe for oriental style noodles that involves ingredients that are not hard to find. They were also ingredients I happened to have in my house, so that was a definite plus. I hate oriental recipes that are basically soy sauce and brown sugar, so I have been trying FOR YEARS to come up with a simple dish that I wasn't dissapointed in the moment I took a bite. This one was actually pretty good, if I do say so myself. I might tweak it some more the next time I make it to make the flavor stronger, but overall this recipe is a keeper.
12 oz spaghetti noodles
2 scallions, diced
2 carrots, peeled and julienned
1 can water chestnuts, drained
1/4 to 1/2 cup steamed broccoli
mushrooms
2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 spoons Panda Express orange sauce
2-3 tbsp soy sauce
1 spoon barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp grated ginger, or 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. (depending on how much you like Ginger) powdered ginger.
Red pepper flakes (Optional)
Cook noodles, drain and rinse in cold water. set aside. Saute carrots and the white part of the green onions in olive or peanut oil for about a minute or two. Add the garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes (if using, red pepper flakes are optional. it only takes a tiny pinch of them to get a pretty spicy/hot flavor, so this depends on how you like your food. I didn't use any, but thought some people might like that). stir around until the garlic become auromatic. Add water, soy sauce, orange sauce, and barbecue sauce. Stir for a minute or so, then add the mushrooms, chestnuts, and noodles. continue to stir until the water is completely evaporated. add the sesame oil, stir, and then add the broccoli. stir until you are afraid it is going to burn on the bottom of the skillet, and then remove.
I tend to "wing it" when it comes to cooking, so this is the best guess I could make at amounts of items. I rarely measure out amounts unless i'm given a recipe by a friend. Then, I try to follow it. Feel free to adjust the amounts of things, as I said it was a little less flavorfull than I wanted so I might tweak the sauce amounts. the spices were plenty though, it would be more of tweaking the soy sauce, orange sauce, and barbecue sauce amounts. I didn't want it dripping in sauce, and I didn't want it tasting like orange sauce or barbecue sauce. Anyways. :)



No comments: