Monday, September 16, 2013

Happy Day

This little girl is officially off of diapers! Now, I'll be honest, there will still be accidents, but she is doing really well. What I did was I got out the potty seat, and I had her run around naked. It is not fun to have a naked child running around, especially when people come to visit--they tend to get the impression that you are "those" people who let their kids run around naked. She only had 2 or 3 accidents on the floor (not fun) but for the most part she would go in the potty every time... until you put underwear on her.

I stuck with it, though. I didn't have the patience or time to dedicate to the technique where you seclude yourself in the house for a week and spend every moment all day long potty training. When we would go out I'd either put her in a diaper, or in a cloth training-pants thing.

Last week I decided I needed to do away with diapers completely, or she would train herself that it was okay to pee once the diaper came on. In order to get her to keep her underwear clean (cause we really can't have her run around naked forever) I do dry checks randomly throughout the day, and reward her for being dry. I'd been rewarding Violet most of the times she went potty (I didn't do it every time because I was weaning her off of the idea of getting rewarded) so I thought this idea was brilliant.

It is working. The night before last I put her in a training pants, and she didn't make it to morning dry. Last night I tried again, and made sure to have her go potty before bed. I even woke her up during the night and had her sit on the potty... she was NOT pleased with me, and I don't think that I'll do that again, it didn't work and just made her very unhappy. This morning I was certain I was going to find a drenched bed, but instead I discovered she was completely dry. Happy Day!! I praised her over and over again, and she got a treat. She even kept clean through church yesterday, and went potty in the church restroom. While I was typing this post she began to go poo in her underwear, so we aren't completely "there" yet, but we are progressing pretty well I think.

No comments: