I started getting vegetables and fruit through Bountiful Baskets, an online business that brings in veggies and fruit at a discount. I have loved it so far, and I think it's a great program. You don't choose what you get, which I actually, so far, like, because you end up trying things you wouldn't normally try, or haven't had a chance to try. This week I got sweet potatoes in my order, and i do not like sweet potatoes very much. I foudn a recipe though, for sweet potato fries, and made them, and they are AWESOME! Seriously, I highly reccomend them.
Pre-heat the oven to 450. Cut the sweet potatoes into thin strips. Put the strips in a plastic bag and add some olive oil, just enough to coat the strips, add salt (I used Kosher Salt, the recipe calls for sea salt) and pepper and squish around in the bag to coat evenly. Dump on a pan, make sure none of them are touching, and bake for 15 min. I didn't trust the temp in the recipe so I put it in at 400 degrees, and just watched them closely, turning to brown. I wasn't watching closely, and accidentally burned them a little, and they got pretty dark, but they still tasted REALLY good.
www.instructables.com/id/Perfect-Oven-Sweet-Potato-Fries/
6 comments:
I think I must be the only person on the planet who is not really a fan of sweet potatoes.
I really don't like them the way i've normally seen them fixed, but as french fries I thouht they were pretty good. I'm starting to think i'm the only one on the planet who doesn't like Artichokes though... I swear everyone says they are wonderful, and i keep thinking i must be fixing them wrong or something, cause they taste like weeds. :)
Awesome! Way to subscribe to those fruits/veggies! I totally wanna make those fries! Hopefully soon!
Isn't Bountiful Baskets awesome? I love it. We have definitely gotten to try some things I normally wouldn't buy, but I usually just search online until I find a recipe to try. I read that you can use sweet potatoes just like you would pumpkin and the taste is not much different, so I thought I might make some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and use sweet potatoes instead. I think I will also boil and mash them and then freeze some for baby food when Ely gets older.
Sorry, me again. I had a friend from church bring us dinner last week. She made us lasagna. When I saw her at church on Sunday and told her how much we enjoyed the food, she told me that she had mixed mashed sweet potatoes in with the sauce. I never would have known. She said she always does things like that to try and get more veggies in her foods.
Also, I got cauliflower once in our Bountiful Basket. I don't like cauliflower, but I cut it up and boiled it with potatoes and made mashed potatoes. You could not even tell there was cauliflower with the potatoes. They were great!
CONGRATULATIONS on the upcoming baby! That is so exciting and I bet you are excited too.
I'm finding that I have more in common with you than I realized. I also tried sweet potato fries last night, never liking sweet potatoes, but really enjoyed the fries. I also am a counselor in the YW, I don't like artichokes either and lastly I am also a caregiver. So, I find these things interesting. Something else about the artichokes is a few years back I tried the cream cheese artichoke dip that was being raved about and couldn't understand how, because I thought it was disgusting, or maybe I made it wrong.
I am making our blog private because my husband just started working at the prison here in Boise and it is basically for protections sake.
Take care! You are great!
Post a Comment