Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Random

Random thoughts today.

Ethan has been struggling with temper tantrums lately, but with the help of some good advice and comforting from friends, it seems to be abating. We can hope right? Things I've learned so far in parenting (and I'm positive there are those who would disagree, but so be it): Spanking does not work. I don't like to spank, and I don't believe in spanking, but there have been moments where I've chosen to spank, and I've come to the realization it doesn't work, and it just creates more hostility. My goal is to try hard to find alternative methods of "discipline" that are more positive and actually produce results. Positive parenting seems to help a lot (noticing and praising good behaviour, distraction/difusing through humor, etc), as does time out, when done properly. I am amazed at how much parenting changes you and how much I have grown and changed since becoming a parent. It might not seem like much to others, but to me it seems like I've changed a lot. Many more years to go right?

I miss Costco. I went to the store today to buy diapers and found that they don't carry the size Ethan wears (he wears them while he's sleeping, and on really long car rides or for babysitters whom I don't want to overwhelm with potty training my child). So, I headed over to walmart, to find that the huggies were overpriced. I decided to go with the walmart brand, thinking that since they are mostly for sleeping, quality wouldn't matter. I was surprised when I got home and pulled one out of the box. It was extremely thin and flimsy, there wasn't much to it... I'm not too sure how much those things can handle.


I LOVE my new home. It's still very disorganized, but it will eventually all get unpacked and put away. I am waiting for some warm weather to do yard work. I love yard work, but I hate the cold, so it will just have to wait. It gives me time to plan out what I want to do, right?

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm not a parent, obviously, but I've been working with kids and parents for 12 years now.

And you are right. Spanking, long term, does not work. It's an immediate consequence, but it usually doesn't have long lasting effects.

The best advice I give to the parents I work with is have patience and consistency. If you do time outs for 3 days, and then give up, of course they won't work. But they will over time.

Jill said...

Right On! I totally agree with you on spanking. Distraction and positive reinforcement of good behavior is key.