Monday, August 18, 2008

Time to put away the crib

Today when I tried to put Ethan down for his nap he wouldn't go. I really needed to take a shower, which never works well when he is awake, as he can push the door open to the bathroom no matter how tight I close it, and then he wants to climb in the shower- and then cries because he doesn't like showers.... hence why I try to do it while he's asleep. So today he decided he didn't want to take a nap, so finally I decided to put him in his crib and let him cry long enough so that I could take a shower. Everyone always says it doesn't hurt them to cry so I kept telling myself this as I climbed into the shower. Right as I lather up my hair I hear Ethan crying-outside the bathroom door. I'm like "what the heck?!" so I jump out of the shower, wet and soapy, open the bathroom door and in he comes, still crying, obviously alone. I yell down the hall "who's home?" thinking my husband or mother in law is possibly home and got him out of his crib, but no one answers. My cute little boy has finally discovered how to climb/fall out of his crib. It's cute...yeah...but really quite frustrating. I don't know what to do with him now. We are living with my in-laws at the moment, and Ethan is currently sleeping in Joan's sewing room. First of all, even with pillows and blankets to fall on, I don't like the idea of him falling out of his crib. Second, I get stressed at the idea of Ethan getting into Joan's sewing stuff- and there really isn't a way to put them higher, because they are on shelves and he can climb those. I figure it's time for him to have a regular bed, but I just don't know where to put him. I knew that he could eventually figure out how to climb out of his bed but I was naiivly hoping that he wouldn't.... at least not until we moved into our own place where he could have his own little room that was safe to leave him in. I know I'll figure something out, and it will be fine...I hope....

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It WILL be fine. You guys will brainstorm something. What about just tying him down or making him a cage? ;)

Margie said...

yep, as cruel as it sounds I've heard of lots of crazy things people do to keep the kids in the crib. tying a board to the top, putting them to sleep with a large T-shirt on that sewn shut on the bottom so they can't lift up their legs high enough to get out, putting them to sleep with shoes on & laces tied together for same reason. None of them sound nice or probably recommended by pediatricians but all might have worked for some parents. I had a cousin where they even turned the crib upside down on him because he'd get up in the middle of the night and turn the stove on!

andreamichelle said...

oh my gosh margie! wow, yeah, I don't think the turning the crib upside down is something i'd do, i mean if my Mom got all worried over me taping his binky in his mouth (it was a joke, it was meant to be funny) she would really get upset over that! lol too funny. they should have locked him in his room or something....that is scary that he'd turn on the stove

Holly said...

Aren't kids fun! The excitement never ends, especially when you have an adventurous kid (I know, I'm there with you!) We put Ellie in a bed when she was just over two. She did suprisingly well. We just put her in a regular bed and then got one of those mesh safety bars on the side so she wouldn't fall out. We also got one of those handles on the door so she couldn't leave her room as she is a runner (I'm sure you can relate to that!). Best of luck!!

~KoJo~ said...

Too funny! I'm glad my little girl hasn't figured that out yet. (knock on wood). I was thinking about putting Nautika in her own "big girl" bed soon. Let me know how it goes for you...

Charity said...

Man I have that same shower problem...I dont' know how moms shower regularly in the morning or whatever. I usually try to shower after I put Caleb to bed at night but if that doesn't work I have to sneak it in during a nap. Such a pain? What do I do when there are more kids? Worry about that later I suppose. :) All I haveto say about the current situation is good luck! And I hope Ryan finds a job soon. :) Really wish him good luck from us--we know job hunting is stressful and sometimes discouraging but it does work out!