Today I was looking at an artists web page and I was reminded of how annoying some artists can be. The illustrations this artist was posting on their blog were quite good. There is always going to be better art out there, but this artist is pretty good at what she does, and it is obvious that she is a professional, not just a beginning artist. I was impressed. I got annoyed when I started reading her comments because she was insulting her artwork that she was posting, saying it was ammeteur, childish, cheesy, etc. I know that artists struggle with self esteem, and they are often cautious with being proud of their artwork, with the fear of coming off cocky. However this woman was a professional, she even has a book published. So, instead of sounding humble, which is maybe what she was going for, she just came off annoying. I know that I have trouble accepting compliments for my own artwork, because I can see all of the flaws, and being a begginer the honest truth is that I'm not very good at most that I do. But I do hope that someday I can be good. I know that I will never be the best, because I don't have the time or space (a studio would be awsome) to produce great pieces, but I'm hoping that with time I will get better, and produce artwork that I can be proud of. I'm trying to be more careful when discussing my artwork, to not come off too degrading. When I see the quality of artwork this woman is producing, and then see her insult her talent, it makes me doubt my ability. This made me realize that I need to try harder not to insult my own work, even if i see all the flaws the teachers would point out if I was in a critique. :) I suppose that artist's feel that they have to be the absolute best before they can be proud of their artwork, and until then to show that they know what the absoulute best would be they feel they need to give themselves an oral critique when presenting their artwork- to prove they know what they are doing wrong.
I decided to post a picture of my favorite drawing I've done. I will say that I am proud of it, because of all the other mediums I've worked with, my portraits have actually excelled, and even won teachers approval, something that NEVER happened in any of my other classes. I'll try to take a better picture of it, but until I do, this will have to work. I'll be honest, my first instinct is to point out everything i know to be wrong with the picture.... I know, sad.... :)
1 comment:
Wow! I think that is an awesome portrait.
It is so easy for us to be hard on ourselves, I think a lot of people do it no matter what they are talking about. I am trying not to do it so much, it's all part of my goal to not complain so much in general.
Post a Comment