Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The evolution of my cooking skills

Doesn't this look so amazingly delicious? 

I think it is kind of funny to look back at how my cooking has evolved over the years. When it was just me, back in college, I'll admit that I really didn't eat very well. It would typically be a one item menu such as spaghetti, or even just sauteed veggies. Actually, it was just popcorn or cereal more often then anything else. There was a reason I was so tiny, and honestly it wasn't the great metabolism that my sister Stephanie insists I had.

When I got married I was that typical spouse who wants to impress the other one with their cooking skills... this resulted in lots of fattening casserole type dishes. Picture the majority of the recipes you see floating around on Pinterest, and that basically sums up my cooking early on in our marriage. 

After having Ethan I decided to start eating healthier, and so I stopped cooking with many of the ingredients necessary for those beautiful Pinterest meals. Today it is so rare that I will use cream of chicken soup, because I can't get past how unhealthy it is. Plus, those meals typically take more time then I want to put into them. 

I've gotten into this push to simplify, and I love the meals that are so simple that it takes moments to prepare because most of it is fresh. Like the tacos above, all they are is left over shredded pork with a tiny bit of green chili enchilada sauce mixed in, Monterrey Jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and corn tortilla. Violet was unimpressed and wouldn't eat them, though she picked out the tomato and ate that. Ryan hates corn tortillas and tomatoes so he made his own with flour tortillas, re-fried beans, and a lot of cheddar cheese. Ethan liked the ones I made. I love them. I figure if I keep making these types of meals, maybe my family will eventually get used to them instead of pining after heavy pasta dishes... we can hope right? :)

No comments: